The amount of people that suffer from constipation has increased greatly in recent years. It often occurs in response to stress and sensitivity to high allergen foods such as gluten, dairy, corn, and eggs. Other causes are overgrowth of unwanted bacteria in the gut, heavy smoking and drinking, caffeine, and frequent use of antibiotics. Waste accumulation in the intestines has several unhealthy effects. The normal exchange of nutrients and bodily wastes is greatly inhibited. Cleansing the intestines can make a big difference in the way your body performs. It just might be the missing link for preventing many chronic and degenerative conditions. There are effective herbs and other natural therapies to promote healthy digestion and elimination, improve intestinal health, and eliminate unpleasant symptoms.
Therapeutic Foods and Beverages
• Food should contain plenty of fiber, but be low in roughage. Vegetables should be lightly steamed or sautéed. Eat smaller, more frequent meals. Organic pesticide-free foods are best!
• Whole grains, such as basmati rice, quinoa, barley, wild rice, oats, and sprouted mixed grain bread.
• Fresh mixed vegetable juice such as carrot, apple, beet, cabbage, ginger.
• Vegetables such as sprouts, leafy greens – kale, chard, artichokes, asparagus.
• Seeds and nut butters - sesame (tahini), sunflower, almond. (Avoid seeds and nuts in whole form. They can get stuck in a sensitive area of the gut and cause great pain.)
• Legumes - lentils, azuki, black bean, and split pea.
• Fowl or meats, raised organically - chicken, turkey, duck, beef, lamb. Limit to a couple times per week.
• Fish (ocean-caught) - wild salmon, halibut, sardines, herring, and albacore tuna.
• High omega-3 eggs (poached or soft-boiled) contain DHA, Vitamin E, and B12.
• Fruits (without skins). Yellow-orange fruits - peaches, pears, and cantaloupe. Berries without seeds - blueberry.
• Cultured foods - yogurt and kefir.
Limit these foods and beverages
• Wheat products and wheat bran.
• Dairy - milk and milk products.
• Alcohol (especially yeasty beer), caffeinated and decaf drinks - coffee, soda pop.
• Avoid pork.
• Raw vegetables, head lettuce.